Context Search is a Firefox Add-on that transforms the "Web Search for…" context menu (right click menu) item into a submenu containing your installed search plugins. This allows you to choose which search engine to use for each search without having to change the selection in the Firefox toolbar.
I originally developed this as I thought it was more useful / intuitive than the in-built Firefox behaviour, but the Firefox UI designers at the time did not agree and suggested it would make a great Add-on instead. I have used it just about every day since.
How does it work?
Context Search uses your in-built search engine plugins so you don't need to configure anything else; just install it and start using it straight away.
What features are included?
By default, the search will open in a background tab (you remain on the page you're currently reading). However, you can modify the behaviour:
- Middle Click = Open search in a new foreground tab (switch to the new tab)
Ctrl+ Click = Open search in a new foreground tab (switch to the new tab)
Shift+ Click = Open search in a new window
Adding search engines
If you wish to add more search plugins at any time, simply click "Manage Search Engines…" from the Search Toolbar's drop-down menu:
Creating search engines
You can find search plugins and get help on creating new / custom plugins at the MyCroft Project website.
Here's one of Context Search in action…
- Context Search 0.6.3 - 26/04/2014
- Japanese locale.
- Traditional Chinese locale.
- Estonian locale.
- Minor internal code tweaks.
- Context Search 0.6.2 - 09/11/2013
- Fix standard menu item.
- Minor internal change to click handling.
- Context Search 0.6.1 - 09/11/2013
- Disable "click menu to search" function by default.
- Added hidden preference to enable "click menu to search" function - "extensions.contextsearch.clickMenuToSearch".
- "Click menu to search" function will no longer activate if standard (built-in) menu item is shown.
- Fix encoding bug with Finnish, Russian, Slovenian, Ukrainian and Simplified Chinese locales.
- Change access key for Simplified Chinese to "S".
- Context Search 0.6 - 09/11/2013
- Added functionality so that you can click on the menu to search using the default engine.
- Fixed middle click so that it works the same as Ctrl+click (as it used to).
- Czech locale.
- Spanish locales.
- Finnish locale.
- Hebrew locale.
- Portuguese (Brazilian) locale.
- Swedish locale.
- Turkish locale.
- Dutch locale.
- Context Search 0.5 - 09/11/2013
- Compatibility with Firefox 25.
- Localisation support.
- German locale.
- Spanish locales.
- French locale.
- Russian locale.
- Slovenian locale.
- Ukranian locale.
- Simplified Chinese locale.
- Context Search 0.4.6 - 09/11/2013
- Localisation support added.
- Opens new tabs next to current (related) tabs.
- Added support for using the command key as a substitute for Ctrl (Mac).
- Restore icons on submenu in GNOME.
- Instant-apply hidden preferences.
- Hidden preference to add quotation marks around multi-word searches.
- Hidden preference to add separators in the menu.
- Updated for Firefox 4.